Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Don't let the many steps overwhelm you - this is a very easy recipe and oh so worth it!:)
- 1 pastry shells
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups apples, peeled & sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 16 caramels
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line pastry shell with double thickness of foil.
- Bake at 450°F for 8 minutes; remove foil and bake another 5 minutes.
- Melt butter and brown sugar.
- Stir in apples and spices; simmer until apples are tender.
- Stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minutes; set aside.
- Melt caramels with milk (I use the microwave) and drizzle over prepared pastry shell.
- Spoon apples over caramel; set aside.
- Combine cream Cheese, sugar, egg, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Pour over apples.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until knife inserted into cream cheese comes out clean.
- Chill before serving.
What an unusual apple pie! It is really a cross between an apple pie and cheesecake. There is a lovely layer of spiced apples on the bottom with a cheesecake layer on top of the apples. I was hoping that the caramel would be ooey gooey but it actually made a thin layer of caramel syrup below the apples. My family really enjoyed the nice combination of flavors. This is a simple looking pie not an elegant pie. NOTE: It is important that you don't exceed the 4 cups of apples or you will find that you will overfill the pie. It might be a good idea to use a deep dish pie crust rather than a regular crust as my pie was almost spilling over the edges. Thanks for a unique recipe!