1/1 Photo of Caramel Apple Cran-Cherry Pie
1 hr 45 mins
This recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens "Simply Delicious" November 2012 issue p. 166
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 340.19 g bag fresh cranberries
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 9.85 ml finely shredded orange peel
- 20 fresh sweet cherries, pitted or 236.59 ml pitted unsweetened frozen dark sweet cherries
Caramel Apple Filling
- 8 tart baking apples, such as granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick or 907.18-1020.58 g tart baking apples
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml finely shredded lemon peel
- 236.59 ml packed dark brown sugar
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml whipping cream
- 4.92 ml vanilla bean paste or 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 29.58 ml water
- 29.58-44.37 ml coarse sugar
- 1If you are home-making your crust, reserve 1/3 of it for the decorative top. If you plan on using a frozen crust, just buy two crusts and roll out the second to cut out cute shapes (the magazine suggests leaves, but you can use anything that is small enough to be seen without covering the pie completely).
- 2For the Cran-Cherry Compote: In a small sauce pan, mix all ingredients (except the cherries) with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until the cherries just begin to burst. Be sure to stir occasionally. When cranberries begin to burst, stir in the cherries and take the pan off the heat to cool.
- 3For the Caramel Apple Filling: In a large bowl, toss apples, lemon juice, and lemon peel to coat apples.
- 4In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Pour flour mixture over apples and toss to coat.
- 5In a large pot on medium heat, melt the butter and add the apple mixture. Cook about 5 minutes stirring the pot frequently. Add the whipping cream and vanilla. Continue cooking, stirring often, until juices thicken and apples are tender (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat, and cool completely.
- 6Pie Assembly: Preheat oven to 350°F Using a slotted spoon, spoon one-third of the cran-cherry mixture into the bottom of the crust. Layer half the apple mixture on top of the cranberries. Spoon another third of the cran-cherry mixture on top of the apples in random dollops. Spoon over remaining apples. Spoon remaining cran-cherry mixture on top in random dollops, leaving pockets of apple visible on top (placing the cran-cherry mixture in little pockets keeps the apples from being dyed red). Leave the flat edge of the crust free from filling.
- 7Whisk the egg and water together to create an egg wash, and brush over the crust lining. Gently press on your crust cut-outs to adhere them to the pie crust. Place the remaining cut outs at random over the pie, and brush with egg wash.
- 8Sprinkle the cut outs with coarse sugar.
- 9Place a foil-lined baking sheet on rack below pie in oven to catch any drippings and bake the pie for 35-40 minutes. Then, cover the edges with foil and bake 10-15 minutes more or until crust is deep golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool 3 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Apple Cran-Cherry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.1
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 32.8 mg
- Sodium 18.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 61.1 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla bean paste