Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This delicious cake goes great with coffee.
- 3 eggs
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml vegetable oil
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 709.77 ml chopped peeled apples
- 236.59 ml coarsely chopped pecans
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml milk
- 236.59 ml packed brown sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy; gradually add sugar. Blend in oil and vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to egg mixture. Stir in apples and pecans.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. tube pan; bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake to a serving platter.
- For topping, combine all ingredients in a saucepan; boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour over warm cake (some topping will run down onto the serving plate.).
This is wonderful and the caramel just makes this cake into something special. I did make a few alterations - reduced the vegetable oil to one cup, added the juice of a lemon and one teaspoon of cinnamon, and I used walnuts instead of pecans as that was what I had on hand.
Delicious! Not a crumb goes to waste.
The only disappointment with this cake is that it is gone so fast! By the time I had served everyone (some coming back for another serving) I was left with one small piece. I got busy doing something else and when I came back it was gone! My little girl had eaten it. She said sorry with a huge smile! There is one thing I might try doing different next time: Pour the topping on the cake while it is still in the pan. Not sure how it will turn out, but I'm anxious to make another one anyway. Thanks!