Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This cake has just the right amount of sweetness to it. It's also a wonderful treat. I actually found this recipe online from another site but have had to substitute items for others to meet my needs.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups peeled chopped apples (Granny Smith works best)
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup water (I use water others use coffee or you can use both) or 1 -1 1⁄4 cup brewed coffee (I use water others use coffee or you can use both)
- 1⁄2 cup lactose-free butter or 1⁄2 cup lactose-free margarine
- 1⁄2 cup lactose-free milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 10-inch tube pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy; gradually add sugar.
- Blend oil and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to egg mixture.
- Add as much of the liquid as you need to make it so it easily pours from the bowl to the pan (not too thin though).
- Stir in apples.
- Pour into pan and bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake to a serving platter.
- For topping, combine all ingredients in a saucepan; boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour over warm cake.