Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I got at Girl Scout Leader Training for Advanced Campfire Cooking. It's made in a Dutch Oven with Charcoal briquettes on the lid and under the Dutch Oven. Really Yummy!
- 1 (18 ounce) package caramel flavored cake mix
- 3 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 1 (12 ounce) can carbonated lemon-lime beverage
- Line the bottom of a 12-inch Dutch oven with aluminum foil.
- Pour in the cans of apple pie filling and cover with the dry cake mix.
- Pour 3/4 can of lemon-lime soda over the cake mix and put the lid on.
- Place 8 briquettes of charcoal (in the coal stage) under the Dutch oven and 15 briquettes on the top.
- Cook 35-40 minutes.
- Check at 30 minutes to see if you need to take off the bottom coals and put fresh ones on top.
- Cake should be browned.
- Can be served with ice cream or whipped cream.
I actually made this with fresh apples, just peeled and sliced, and spice cake mix. I even used Sprite Zero for the beverage. Then, I baked it right in a clay dish in the oven for about an hour. Delicious! What an easy, cool recipe. Thanks for sharing.