Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Paula's Home Cooking, Episode: Winter Warmers. These were enjoyed by all! Many different layers of taste.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (2-8 oz packages)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup caramel topping
STREUSEL TOPPING use only 1 cup in recipe
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture is crumbly.
- Press evenly into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Then add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour over warm crust.
- In a small bowl, stir together the chopped apples, 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with Streusel topping.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Drizzle with caramel topping.
- MAKE STRUSEL TOPPING:.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.
Cant.Stop.Eating.These. They are amazing! Halved the recipe and they turned out great. These would be awesome for a Thanksgiving dessert. I thought these would be very time consuming considering all the different layers but I had these babies together in no time. In the picture I took they were almost gone, there was a ton more. I cut them into squares and then diagonal.
What a fantastic recipe.I just bought Paula Deen's magazine with this recipe in it.This would be a great dessert when you're having guests over,as it makes alot.This recipe calls for unsalted butter but the original calls for regular butter(salted).I used margarine.I didn't use foil in the pan just sprayed it with cooking spray and they came out perfectly.This is an amazing dessert!
Update Feb 12 2011....I have also used a blueberry layer to replace the apple layer...soooo good!
This recipe was a hit at several occasions. Everyone loved it! Just a little confused as where to add the 1/2 c sugar. I put it in with the cream cheese.