Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This rich cake was served at 'The Lady and Sons' restaurant's in Savannah, GA. It is a poke cake with a caramel sauce. It tastes like a caramel apple in a pan! My cake bakes for 50 minutes.
- 591.47 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 354.88 ml vegetable oil
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml chopped walnuts
- 591.47 ml diced apples (canned or fresh)
- 177.44 ml butter
- 473.18 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml milk
- Lightly grease and flour 13 x 9-inch baking dish; Preheat oven to 350°F Cream together sugar, eggs, and oil; Add flour; mix together until well blended; Add vanilla, nuts, and diced apples.
- Spread into pan; bake for 45 to 60 minutes; Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- When cake is done, punch holes in it with a knife and pour topping over.
- Topping: Heat all ingredients together over medium heat; Bring to boil, stirring constantly; Let boil for about 2 minutes; Pour over warm cake.
I read the reviews before making this. I was unsure what to expect as there are good and bad reviews. I was wondering why there was no baking powder or salt. I cut back on the oil in the cake to 1 cup from 1 1/2 cups. I probably should have cut back on the flour too at that point, as the mixture was almost like cookie dough rather than cake batter. It ended up ok though. Although I really regret not adding salt. I will add at least 1/2 tsp or more next time. As for the topping, you don't need to use all of it. I just drizzled it on top until it looked like it was sufficiently covered. If you use all of the topping I imagine it would be way too sweet. After you let it set for a few hours it really came together nicely. It's sweet, but not overly. And I liked how the topping hardens up.
I made this cake and found it to be very heavy and way too sweet. I mean there's four cups of sugar in this thing!!! Holy cow!! I wo t make it again.
I thought this cake was just OK. It was very bland, too sweet, and too oily for my family's tastes. I wouldn't make it again, but if I did, I would add cinnamon, salt, and twice the apples. I will be looking for another apple cake recipe that is healthier, spicer and has less sugar and more apples.