Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This rich cake was served at 'The Lady and Sons' restaurant's in Savannah, GA. It is a poke cake with a caramel sauce. It tastes like a caramel apple in a pan! My cake bakes for 50 minutes.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced apples (canned or fresh)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Lightly grease and flour 13 x 9-inch baking dish; Preheat oven to 350°F Cream together sugar, eggs, and oil; Add flour; mix together until well blended; Add vanilla, nuts, and diced apples.
- Spread into pan; bake for 45 to 60 minutes; Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- When cake is done, punch holes in it with a knife and pour topping over.
- Topping: Heat all ingredients together over medium heat; Bring to boil, stirring constantly; Let boil for about 2 minutes; Pour over warm cake.
I made this cake and found it to be very heavy and way too sweet. I mean there's four cups of sugar in this thing!!! Holy cow!! I wo t make it again.
I thought this cake was just OK. It was very bland, too sweet, and too oily for my family's tastes. I wouldn't make it again, but if I did, I would add cinnamon, salt, and twice the apples. I will be looking for another apple cake recipe that is healthier, spicer and has less sugar and more apples.
I just noticed I did not review this yet!! I made this cake to go along with the pies on Thanksgiving!! WOW!! Everyone loved it!! Very rich and decadent! I baked the cake 3 days prior to serving it...and it was perfect! Thank you Connie K!!