Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Here's an oldie but goodie! It is simply scrumptious. This cake has a lovely presentation.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In separate bowl combine dry ingredients; then add to batter and stir well.
- Fold in apples, walnuts and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, heat brown sugar, cream, butter and salt until sugar is dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth; drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.