Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favorite cake. A rich,buttery apple cake. No need for icing. I make this cake very often. It can be served warm with a dollop of whipped cream, served cold or even frozen for later use .You will be handing out copies of this recipe.Recipe came from a Robin Hood cookbook.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 473.18 ml peeled apples (diced or cut into small pieces)
- 113 g packagepackage chipits skor toffee pieces
- 78.07 ml flour
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml butter
- 113 g packagechipits skor toffee pieces
- 118.29 ml white chocolate chips
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream making 3 dry and 2 liquid additions. Fold in apples and skor Bits. Spread batter evenley in greased 13x9 cake pan.
- combine all topping ingredients, mixing until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I'm so sorry, I wish I could give it more stars. The cake portion was really, really lovely. Very moist and had that wonderful apple flavour. However for us, the topping ruined it. We found that the sweetness of the chocolate combined with the brown sugar and toffee bits overpowered the cake. I will make this again, but will change the topping ingredients a bit. I might try replacing the chocolate with some pecans, or maybe just use the brown sugar, flour and butter mixture. Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #24 *UPDATE* Jan 21/09 I made the cake again today, but without the chocolate chips. What a *winner*. The cake is still moist and flavourful. I added pecans in place of the chocolate. Fantastic. I guess I'm just not a white chocolate kind of girl. Thanks Dotty2. This is a terrific cake.
Have to agree with LJane and Dotty - this is sooo good - and like Dotty said - it is a rich and buttery apple cake. What immediately came to mind tasting that first bite ... a wonderful find to add to my make and takes! Living in a small community where everyone knows who brings what you know it's got to be good to be added to that special cookbook! Thank you Dotty for yet another of your recipes that made for a wow at our table.
This was sooo good!! I made this because I accidentaly made hard toffee covered apples instead of caramel apples (Kittencal's Caramel Apples), and didn't want to waste the apples or caramel/toffee. So I cut those up and used that instead of the package of skor bits. I also used chocolate chips instead of the white chocolate chips. The cake started to cook more on the edges than the inside, so I turned down the oven and increased my cooking time. Very good! Thank you!