Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favorite cake. A rich,buttery apple cake. No need for icing. I make this cake very often. It can be served warm with a dollop of whipped cream, served cold or even frozen for later use .You will be handing out copies of this recipe.Recipe came from a Robin Hood cookbook.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 473.18 ml peeled apples (diced or cut into small pieces)
- 113 g packagepackage chipits skor toffee pieces
- 78.07 ml flour
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml butter
- 113 g packagechipits skor toffee pieces
- 118.29 ml white chocolate chips
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream making 3 dry and 2 liquid additions. Fold in apples and skor Bits. Spread batter evenley in greased 13x9 cake pan.
- combine all topping ingredients, mixing until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Rarely do I ever write the following words but must this time. First time making cake, I found it to be way too sweet. Crazy, I know. Second time making the cake, omitted the white chocolate and it was amazing!
This is my favorite Robin Hood Flour recipe (to give credit to the orignal creator). I make it at least once a year, and have done so for the last 20 years... It's definately a family favorite.
I'm so sorry, I wish I could give it more stars. The cake portion was really, really lovely. Very moist and had that wonderful apple flavour. However for us, the topping ruined it. We found that the sweetness of the chocolate combined with the brown sugar and toffee bits overpowered the cake. I will make this again, but will change the topping ingredients a bit. I might try replacing the chocolate with some pecans, or maybe just use the brown sugar, flour and butter mixture. Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #24 *UPDATE* Jan 21/09 I made the cake again today, but without the chocolate chips. What a *winner*. The cake is still moist and flavourful. I added pecans in place of the chocolate. Fantastic. I guess I'm just not a white chocolate kind of girl. Thanks Dotty2. This is a terrific cake.