Recipe by Dib's
This recipe is posted by request-original poster is Mimi Hiller.
Top Review by ImWhisper
The taste was good but not caramel-y like I expected. The texture and thickness was very nice. It was time consuming when it only made 4 eight ounce jars. So I will be making another batch this afternoon and will double the apples, sugar and spices and add 4 times the caramels.
- 3 lbs apples
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 21 caramels
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core and chop apples.
- Add apples and water/applejuice into a large pot.
- Over medium high heat cook apples until just tender.
- Remove apples with a slotted spoon-puree using a food mill, food processor, whatever you have on hand. (discard fluid in pot).
- Return puree to pot.
- Add the sugar stirring well.
- Return to medium high heat-you want mixture to bubble.
- *Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until butter is thick and has a spreadable consistency.
- Add the ginger, cloves and cinnamon, stirring well.
- Add the caramels.
- Turn the heat up to medium low, stirring constantly until caramels are melted.
- Ladle butter into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner 10 minutes for pints, 5 minutes for half pints.
- *Using a frozen saucer place a spoonful of butter in center. If no rim of liquid forms, your butter is done.