This recipe is posted by request-original poster is Mimi Hiller.
Make and share this Caramel Apple Butter recipe from Food.com.
- Peel, core and chop apples.
- Add apples and water/applejuice into a large pot.
- Over medium high heat cook apples until just tender.
- Remove apples with a slotted spoon-puree using a food mill, food processor, whatever you have on hand. (discard fluid in pot).
- Return puree to pot.
- Add the sugar stirring well.
- Return to medium high heat-you want mixture to bubble.
- *Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until butter is thick and has a spreadable consistency.
- Add the ginger, cloves and cinnamon, stirring well.
- Add the caramels.
- Turn the heat up to medium low, stirring constantly until caramels are melted.
- Ladle butter into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner 10 minutes for pints, 5 minutes for half pints.
- *Using a frozen saucer place a spoonful of butter in center. If no rim of liquid forms, your butter is done.
The taste was good but not caramel-y like I expected. The texture and thickness was very nice. It was time consuming when it only made 4 eight ounce jars. So I will be making another batch this afternoon and will double the apples, sugar and spices and add 4 times the caramels.
This is actually the 4th time I've made this apple butter. It is fantastic! I gave it to all my coworkers in our OB Department for Christmas last year, and when I said I was going to make it again this year I was asked to use bigger jars! It does make only half as much as stated, but the taste is worth it! The only change I made was to add twice the cinnamon. It is soooo good on toasted whole wheat bagels! My husband uses it as an ice cream topper! Each time I use the recipe, I have 2 pans (each with a tripple recipe) cooking at the same time so I can make enough to last throughout the year--it stores well in my pantry which is cool and dark!
I used another recipe to cook an apple butter using only brown sugar and cinnamon then added 20 caramels and very yummy indeed!