Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Mom made this for us. We thought is was delicious so I thought I would share the recipe. She lets it refrigerate overnight.
Top Review by dawnadelicious
I made this for Easter brunch. It was easy and delicous. My sister doesn't usually like bread pudding, but she loved this. I put it together the night before, refrigerated it and baked it in the morning. I used a bread pan and sliced it to serve. The carmel sauce was very tasty. Thanks!
- 2 cups peeled cored and sliced granny smith apples
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup pecan pieces
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 -10 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick) or 8 -10 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, add apples and water; bring mixture to boiling; lower heat.
- Cover and cook over medium-low for 5-7 minutes or until apples are tender; stirring frequently.
- Drain apples and transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir in cinnamon and set apples aside.
- In the same saucepan, add brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until just reaches boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with pecans.
- In another bowl, add eggs, milk, vanilla, and nutmeg; mix well.
- Place half of the bread slices on top of the caramel, trimming bread to fit.
- Spoon apples evenly over the bread slices.
- Place remaining bread slices over apples.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread slices; press bread down gently to moisten completely.
- Cover and chill if refrigerator for 3 to 24 hours.
- In a 325°F oven, bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edges to loosen.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Carefully invert pudding onto a platter (Spoon any remaining caramel mixture in dish over pudding).
- Cut and serve warm.