Prep 24 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Making breakfast for dinner once a week is a SUREFIRE way to bring your weekly meal costs and your overall grocery bill down a bit! This dish would also be great for a brunch/potluck or weekend breakfast. Just double the recipe and make it in a 9x13-inch baking dish. If you've got milk, eggs, bread, the spices and some apples id the fridge, you should totally make this. LIKE RIGHT NOW!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Peel and dice the apples. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Toss with diced apples.
- In a greased 8x8-inch glass baking dish, tear 3 slices of bread and add to the bottom. Then add a layer of the diced caramel apples.
- Tear the other 3 slices of bread and spread on top of the apples.
- Pour egg/milk mixture into the baking dish. Cover with foil and let stand in the refrigerator for at least an hour (overnight, ideally!).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until eggs have cooked through.
- Serve Caramel Apple Breakfast Casserole with fresh fruit and sausage or bacon.