Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A recipe that I adapted from epicurean.com
- 28 caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 cups cubed sunmaid raisin bread
- 4 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Melt caramels with water in a covered double boiler or in a saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally until sauce is smooth.
- Place bread cubes in greased 12x8 inch baking dish.
- Top with apple slices.
- Combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon; pour over apples.
- Sprinkle with raisins and walnuts.
- Cover with caramel sauce.
- Set dish in large pan on oven rack; pour in boiling water to 1/2 inch depth.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and outside edge comes out clean. Serve hot or cold.