1/1 Photo of Caramel Apple Bars
Rhonda O's Note:
Do you have extra apples but don't feel like making a pie? Try this easy-to-make bar with layers of brown sugar and oats surrounding apples and melted caramel. Makes 36 bars
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples (3 medium)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
- 1Heat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening in large bowl.
- 3Stir in 1¾ cups flour, the oats, salt and baking soda.
- 4Reserve 2 cups oat mixture; press remaining oat mixture in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
- 5Toss apples and 3 tablespoons flour; spread over mixture in pan.
- 6Heat caramels over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted; pour evenly over apples.
- 7Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press lightly.
- 8Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender.
- 9For 36 bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows while warm.
- 10Store covered in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Apple Bars
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.8
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.5 mg
- Sodium 130.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g