Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the www.crisco.com website.
Make and share this Caramel Apple Bars recipe from Food.com.
FOR THE CRUST
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (OR 3/4 stick Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening Sticks, plus additional for greasing pan)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups quick oats, uncooked
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 -4 granny smith apples (or Golden Delicious apples)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramel candies, unwrapped
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with shortening.
- COMBINE 3/4 cup shortening and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer; add egg. Beat until well blended.
- MIX together 1 1/2 cups flour, salt and baking soda. Add gradually to creamed mixture. Add in oats. Mix until blended. Reserve 1 1/4 cups of mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- TOSS apples with 2 tablespoons flour and lemon juice. Distribute apple mixture evenly over partially baked crust. Press in lightly.
- PLACE caramels in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100% power) 1 minute. Stir. Repeat until caramels are melted. Drizzle melted caramel evenly over apples. Crumble reserved topping evenly over caramel.
- BAKE 30 to 40 minutes, or until apples are tender and top is golden brown (do not overbake). Loosen caramel from sides of pan with knife. Cool completely. Cut into 1 1/2 inch bars. Cover tightly with plastic wrap to store.