Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Culinary in the Desert
Make and share this Caramel Apple Bars recipe from Food.com.
For the Crust
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup ground pecans
For the Filling
- 3 1⁄2 cups sliced apples (about 24 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup homemade caramel sauce (see my other recipes, if you do not want to make your own caramels, use store-bought caramel sauce)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9X13 pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat the brown sugar and the next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) until thoroughly combined. Mix in the flour, ground pecans and oats until crumbly. Scoop out 1 cup and set aside. Place the remaining crumbs into your prepared pan and press down firmly to coat the bottom.
- Toss the apples in a large bowl with the salt and cinnamon. Arrange them over the crust.
- Drizzle the warm homemade caramel over the top and then sprinkle with the remaining crumbs you set aside.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until bubbly and the apples are just tender. Remove and let cool until they are just warm to the touch.
- Cut into squares. Try and let the bars rest until the caramel has set before serving.