Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are to die for. Make sure you hide some for yourself because they won't last long.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 4 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped peeled baking apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour, oats, salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Stir in pecans if desired.
- Set aside 2 cups.
- Press remaining oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- For filling, toss apples with flour; spoon over the crust.
- In a saucepan, melt the caramels and butter over low heat; drizzle over apples.
- Top with the reserved oat mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool before cutting into bars.