Recipe by LAURIE
Almost like a "taffy apple" in a pan.
Top Review by beckas
This was delicious. I used granny smith apples and I added 1/4 cup of sugar to the apple mixture because the apples were tart. It turned out to be the perfect amount of sweetness for us. I used Kraft caramels and they melted during the baking process. The caramel flavor was not as dominant as I had expected but the caramels sure made a wonderful sauce. The toping had a nutty flavor (I used chopped walnuts) and a great crumbly, flakey texture. DH raved about how good this was.
- 6 cups sliced and peeled apples
- 1 cup baking mix, plus
- 2 tablespoons baking mix, like bisquick
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 20 caramels, cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, softened