Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Almost like a "taffy apple" in a pan.
Make and share this Caramel Apple Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups sliced and peeled apples
- 1 cup baking mix, plus
- 2 tablespoons baking mix, like bisquick
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 20 caramels, cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix apples, 2 TBS baking mix and cinnamon.
- Stir in caramels.
- Spread in ungreased 8x8 pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients together.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake 35-40 minutes til apples are tender and topping is brown.
This was delicious. I used granny smith apples and I added 1/4 cup of sugar to the apple mixture because the apples were tart. It turned out to be the perfect amount of sweetness for us. I used Kraft caramels and they melted during the baking process. The caramel flavor was not as dominant as I had expected but the caramels sure made a wonderful sauce. The toping had a nutty flavor (I used chopped walnuts) and a great crumbly, flakey texture. DH raved about how good this was.
Tasted good but half the caramels stuck to the pan and that's probably why I couldn't taste the caramels. Mine didn't make a sauce at all. Maybe it was my apples? Or maybe it was ment to eat it hot? I will try this one again but I will melt the caramels first with some milk.
Yummmmm!!! I made this today for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I think I am going to have to make another one. I couldnt resist tasting just a little peice of the corner but then I couldnt stop at just that. Then my kids smelled & asked if they could have just a small taste and they couldnt stop. Before I knew it, it was more that half gone.