Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Pillsbury favorite...caramel ice-cream topping sweetens up this crispy fruit classic.
- 2 medium apples, peeled, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium pears, peeled, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- whipped cream
- caramel ice cream topping
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In sprayed baking dish, combine apples, pears, sugar and allspice; toss gently to mix.
- Drizzle evenly with ice cream topping.
- In medium bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, walnuts and flour; mix well.
- With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle evenly over fruit mixture; press lightly.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is crisp.
- Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- To serve, spoon liquid from baking dish over fruit.
- Top with whipped cream and caramel ice cream topping. Store in refrigerator.
I really liked the idea of an apple and pear crisp, but this did not work out for me. I made exactly as directed, but after cooking as directed, the apples and pears were very firm and gave off so much liquid that it was kind of a hard fruit soup. I tried cooking longer, but it didn't help. The flavor was good, but it didn't work out for us.
My dh & I enjoyed this very much. We didn't find it too sweet, but I didn't use the entire 1/3 cup of caramel topping. This crisp was quick and easy to make, sweet, tart and subtley spicy. Thanks for sharing.
I really liked these, but my son and husband said they were too sweet (uncharacteristic of them). I think next time I will omit the layer of caramel on top of the fruit mixture. Will definitely use this recipe again!