1 hr 10 mins
L. Duch's Note:
After having made flan recently,for the first time, I was inspired to how simple they are to make, so I decided to play around with different toppings. I came up with this. Very easy and really delicious. I hope you enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Brush 6 (1/2 cups) ramekins with the melted butter and set aside.
- 3FOR THE FLAN:.
- 4Whisk together the eggs plus the two egg yolks.
- 5While whisking add the sugar, slowly until dissolved.
- 6Add rum extract, heavy cream, milk and salt. Continue to whisk.
- 7Strain mixture and transfer to large bowl, to strain out air bubbles.
- 8FOR THE CARAMEL:.
- 9Put sugar and water into small sauce pan. Boil and reduce until a nice amber color or to 'hard crack' stage on your candy thermometer.
- 10** Not to worry. After the flan is baked, cooled and inverted onto plate, the caramel is no longer hard, but just right.**.
- 11ASSEMBLY AND BAKING.
- 12Into buttered ramekins, pour 2 Tbsp of the hot caramel mixture and rotate to coat the bottom.
- 13Place 2-3 pear slices on top of caramel.
- 14Fill each ramekin with the flan mixture, SLOWLY to avoid air bubbles, until 2/3 full.
- 15Place filled ramekins into shallow baking pan and then fill pan with boiling water.
- 16**the water bath will allow flan to cook evenly**.
- 17Bake for 40 minutes.
- 18Remove from oven and allow flans to cool in original water bath.
- 19Once cooled, flans can be removed from water, covered and refrigerated overnight if needed.
- 20Before serving, place ramekins in a shallow pan of warm water to loosen the custard.
- 21Run a knife around the inside edge of ramekin, to further loosen. Place a plate on top of ramekin and flip onto plate to serve.
- 22VOILA! You have your Caramel and Pear Flan.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel and Pear Flan
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.2
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 321.3 mg
- Sodium 150.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 76.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g