This is a very easy, and amazingly delicious, Marinara recipe that I copied from my boyfriend who was a guest chef on Martha Stewart... not that that means anything. It calls for a few simple ingredients that most people have on hand. Try it, especially if you love the flavor of carmalized garlic. You will love it. (Please do not give this recipe a low rating if you do not follow it exactly.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 heads garlic, peeled and crushed (not cloves, heads)
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, preferably, San Marzano, drained and chopped removing hearts (do not use crushed or pre-chopped, they are lower quality tomatoes)
- 2 cups tomato puree (this equals a fifteen ounce can)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (use more if necessary)
- 20 -30 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar (if not sweet enough ....this is my addition, he would never use sugar)
- 1Place garlic in a small sauce pan and cover with EVOO. Cook until lightly browned and crisp. This means watching carefully because if the oil is too hot it will burn and turn bitter, too slow and it will stew instead of carmalizing. I keep the evoo nearby in case it gets too hot and then I just pour some in to cool it down.
- 2In a sauce pan put chopped tomatoes and basil leaves. Once the garlic is caramalized add that to the pan with about 1/4 cup olive oil, or more to taste. I use the entire half cup.
- 3Add salt to taste and sugar if neeeded (I use about 2 - 3 tsps). Simmer for half an hour.
- 4Serve over your favorite pasta.
- 5Perfect frozen and used in lasagna or other baked pasta recipes. Also great with red pepper flakes as a red clam sauce (obviously, add clams).
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramalized Garlic Marinara
Serving Size: 1 (560 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.0
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 436.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 6.6 g