Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A Florentine soup, taken from The Art of Cookery, and posted for ZWT7
- 0.22 lb blanched almonds
- 2⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- cinnamon stick
- 1 kg onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 liter stock
- 6 slices bread
- gruyre cheese
- Crush the almonds in a mortar and leave them to soak in the vinegar with the cinnamon stick for about one hour.
- Gently fry the onions in the oil.
- Add the almonds, sugar, salt and stock and cook for half an hour.
- Toast the slices of bread, place a slice in each dish and pour over the onion soup.
- You could garnish the soup by sprinkling grated Gruyère cheese over just before serving, or even return it to the oven for ten minutes, with the cheese on top.