Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I prefer a sweet curry like this so I really enjoy the bits of cooked apple and raisins in this version.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skin on breasts, skinless legs and thighs
- 2 onions, Finely Chopped
- 2 stalks celery, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 3-inch long
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 apples, Peeled and Diced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup coconut milk
- In a non stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add Chicken in batches, and brown on all sides.
- Transfer browned chicken to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce the heat on the frying pan to medium.
- Add to the frying pan the onions and celery and cook, stirring until softened.
- Add garlic, curry powder, chili powder, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon stick and bay leaf and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, Stir in apples and raisins.
- Pour the mixture from the frying pan over the chicken in the slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 Hours, or on HIGH for 2 ½ to 3 hours, until juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork.
- Stir in coconut milk and cook until heated through.
- Discard cinnamon stick and bay leaf before serving.
- Serve with rice.
- Note: This is a mild curry so if you like things hotter you might want to adjust your seasonings a bit.
Kid approved. I used light coconut milk and gala apples.
This is so delicious, I love the fruit, curry and chicken flavors. I did use the skinless boneless chicken breasts too. Needed to cut back on fats for my own personal reasons but it came out very moist. I used a clay oven on low for a few hours it all came out great. I did put a squeeze of fresh orange to pick up the flavors a bit more. Next time my husband wants to try it with pork tenderloin. And toss in some cashews. One thing the was so much better the next day.
A delicious mild curry. I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts and found the dish to be ready after 2.5 hours on low, but I suspect my slow cooker is a little fast!