1/3 Photos of Captain Steve’s Piroshki
1 hr 10 mins
This is a variation of a popular Russian food, perfect for buffets, finger eating, and after-school snacks. Filling and dough are very forgiving and refrigerate well for preparation later once the guests arrive. Optional ingredients according to different tastes could include celery, grated carrots, bell peppers. It’s a healthy choice hitting all the food groups and appealing to even fussy eaters. This is for a large batch of about 55 piroshkis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large red apple
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 lb grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 7 cups quality flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Brown onion and meat in olive oil.
- 3Add spices to taste (basil, poultry season, salt, pepper).
- 4Set meat mixture aside and allow to cool.
- 5Core, peel and dice apple in small bowl; add cinnamon and sugar; let set.
- 6Add cranberries and apple mixture to meat and set aside.
- 7Mix dry ingredients; cut in butter.
- 8Lightly beat eggs in separate bowl, fold in sour cream and mix well.
- 9Add egg mixture to dry ingredients.
- 10Knead dough until smooth consistency.
- 11Roll handful of dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch.
- 12Use 4-inch cutter (circle cookie cutters or bowl).
- 13Place tablespoon of filling on 1/2 of 4-inch dough patty, top with 1/2 tablespoon cheese.
- 14Fold dough in half, pinch seams closed.
- 15Whisk raw egg with splash of water and brush top of piroshki for a shine (optional).
- 16Bake on lightly oiled and floured cookie sheet for 25 minutes at 350°F.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Captain Steve’s Piroshki
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.6
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 111.0 mg
- Sodium 549.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 19.1 g