Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a recipe book on 18th century frontier outpost recipes. This is a recipe of the sea captains who sailed out of Boston for the East India Company. Time does not include the desalting process. This recipe has the Kedgeree made and served in one pot while most Kedgeree recipes has the rice made separately and the cod and sauce poured over the rice.
- *Note if using 20th century unsalted cod skip this step. Soak cod overnight to soften and remove salt. Parboil, cool 15 minutes and throw off the water.
- In kettle add fresh water (about 3 cups) rice and codfish.
- Cook until rice is tender and fish flakes. Add pepper to taste.
- Add butter and milk, heat through.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped hardboiled eggs.