Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've made this one with stale toast bread it worked ok. My friends enjoyed this. Didn't have any egg tomatoes so used ordinary ones (not too big) Any type of dry Italian-style bread can be used pagnotta was used in this recipe.
- Italian bread (any type of dry Italian-style bread, pagnotta was used in this recipe)
- 1 medium garlic, bulb
- 9 egg tomatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
- 2 large red capsicums
- 1 large yellow capsicum
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, lightly-packed and torn
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- DRESSING:Separate garlic bulbs into cloves, don't peel.
- Combine garlic, tomatoes and oil in baking dish.
- Bake uncovered, in moderately hot oven about 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft, gently turning tomato occasionally; cool.
- Reserve garlic for the dressing.
- Cut bread into 2 cm squares, combine in a bowl with extra olive oil; mix well.
- Place bread in single layer on oven tray, toast in moderate oven about 10 minutes.
- Quarter capsicums, remove seeds and membranes.
- Grill capsicums, skin side up, until skin blisters and blackens.
- Peel away skin, slice capsicums into thick strips.
- Combine tomatoes, capsicums, basil in a large bowl; toss gently.
- Add crunchy bread to salad just before serving.
- DRESSING Squeeze pulp from garlic. Blend with vinegar and sugar until smooth.
- Add oil gradually in a thin stream while motor is running.
- Blend until thick.