Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Il più eccellente! This salad completes scampi, a salmon fillet or steak. It is all you need to finish the meal.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 8 -10 basil leaves
- 10 -15 green beans (ends trimmed)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- sea salt
- balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar, reduction
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Cut peppers into 1" wide strips.
- Put 2 tblspns olive oil in a pyrex baking dish and lay out the pepper strips skin side up in the dish.
- Roast peppers in oven for 25-30 minutes or until skins start to loosen or brown.
- Put 6 tblspns olive oil in a deep 12" frying pan and heat until oil starts to move.
- Put garlic in oil, stir once and immediately remove from heat. The garlic should be flash fried brown, do not burn.
- Remove garlic from oil and set aside.
- Return oil to heat and add string beans and fry for about 1 minute or until just tender.
- Remove beans and set aside.
- Remove oil from pan and set aside to cool.
- Remove peppers from oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Arrange tomatoes on a dinner plate and top each round with a basil leaf and a mozzarella round.
- Arrange beans and pepper strips on plate and sprinkle all with sea salt to taste.
- Pour cooled olive oil over tomato stacks and dab each stack with balsamic.
- Put a small amount of the flash fried garlic on top of each tomato stack.
- Serve with scampi, salmon fillet or a steak.
- Mangiare! (no I'm not Italian but the words enhance the experience).