Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Homegrown tomatoes, fresh mozzeralla, fresh herbs, Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar. It doesn't get any better than this. The addition of the red onions & sliced olives just seem to enhance the basic Caprese Salad Recipe. Great Lunch now that the tomatoes are in season and readily available. Have with some fresh french bread with some herb butter & something good to drink and "it's all good" :-) I got this recipe from All Recipes and tweaked it a bit. Posting here so I know where it is because it is the closest I have ever came to duplicating this dish the first time I had it.
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, only fresh will do
- 1⁄2 small red onion, Sliced Thin
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives, experiment with different kinds of olives and slice them yourself. Really adds a nice touch
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped I have also used Lemon Basil with good results
- 1⁄8 cup fresh oregano
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Slice Mozzarella Cheese into small slices.
- Slice tomatoes thick. Be sure to remove all of the core and the bottom little black dot.
- Combine tomatoes and Cheese with the remaining ingredients.
- Toss Well and make sure everything is coated.
- Chill for 1 hour ( minimum), although you don't want to leave in the refrigerator too long -- you don't want it to become mushy.
- When ready to serve, arrange tomatoes on a large platter, put some of the cheese slices/chunks on each tomato slice.
- Work in olives and onions to make it pretty.
- Drizzel remaining dressing over this.
- Garnish with Fresh Basil Leaves and Oregano Leaves.
Ah, even the McDonald's in Italy offer capese salad! In my family, we substitute lemon for the balsamic, for a less sweet version. If no fresh oregano is available, dried Italian seasoning crushed with your fingers will do.
We bought mozzarella just to make this, it was AMAZING! and so quick, I made it early this afternoon and we are having it with dinner tonight.
Very nice flavors! I made as directed but added some pepper hard salami. This made it a meal! Just right for a warm summer night. No cooking and light. Next time, I am going to add artichoke hearts. That is the beauty of it--you can add what you like or make as is. Thanks for the wonderful salad (meal). I will be making this again and often!