Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Caprese Polenta Burgers Recipe from The Wisconsin Beef Council
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (18 ounce) packagerefrigerated prepared polenta, cut into 8 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each
- thinly sliced fresh basil
- Bring vinegar to a boil in 2-quart saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 9 to 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Set aside.
- Meanwhile lightly shape ground beef into eight 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Brush polenta slices with oil.
- Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange polenta around patties.
- Grill patties and polenta, uncovered, 11 to 12 minutes or until patties are medium (160°F) doneness, and polenta is heated through, turning once and basting patties with 2 tablespoons reduced vinegar after turning.
- Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.
- For each serving, layer 1 each polenta slice, burger, mozzarella slice and tomato slice. Drizzle with remaining vinegar and sprinkle with basil, as desired.
Great burger! There was a bit of effort involved in these, but the flavors were great. The balsamic reduction added a lot as did the fresh basil. The polenta made these extra hearty with a creamy texture. I made my own polenta the day before and could have made the balsamic reduction ahead of time also, but didn't :) Made for the Went to Market tag game.