Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great healthy appetizer, good during the summer when tomatoes are fresh.
- 3 tomatoes (Roman or on the vine, need to be small enough when sliced to fit on baguette slice)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, the size of the mozzarella ball is important, you want to get the size that when sliced will fit on (the kind that is in liquid works best)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts (sliced)
- fresh basil, 1 bunch (must be fresh)
- 1 baguette, loaf (french or sourdough your preference)
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- slice bread and brush or dip bread in Olive Oil.
- toast in oven at 375 for 10mins.
- slice tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese thin and place in a casserole dish or dish with sides.
- add artichokes to dish (make sure the hearts are sliced into small bite size slivers).
- add 2 tbls of artichoke marinade (if it taste good) to dish.
- add olive oil to dish until everything is coated nicely.
- drizzle balsamic vinegar over everything.
- add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- stir all ingredients until mixed evenly.
- let mixture sit in the fridge for at least 30mins.
- - all the above steps can be made ahead if needed. Bag bread in Ziploc and refrigerate tomato mixture.
- place bread on serving platter.
- place mozzarella slices on top of bread slices.
- place torn piece of basil leaf on top of mozzarella.
- place tomato slices on top of basil.
- place artichoke heart on top of basil.
- serve or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.