Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe comes from a Cook's Country Magazine. It's phenomenal. I made it for a get together and it was gone in a flash. It's really worth finding the ciabatta bread for. I got mine from Safeway.
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 loaf ciabatta
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained, and crumbled
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
- Place tomato slices on several layers of paper towels and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let sit for 15 minutes, then press with additional paper towels to extract excess moisture.
- Mix oil and vinegar together in small bowl.
- Slice bread in half horizontally and use fingers to remove and discard all but 1/2 inch of interior crumb.
- Puree 1 cup basil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, hot sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides several times.
- Spread basil mayonnaise on both cut sides of bread.
- Sprinkle bacon on bottom half of bread and place romaine on top of bacon.
- Shingle tomatoes and mozzarella alternately over romaine and drizzle wih oil and inegar mixture. Place remaining 1/3 cup basil in single layer on top and replace top half of bread.
- Cut crosswise into 2 inch sandwiches. Serve.
I make this for almost every party. It is so good!