These are impressive, but almost embarrassingly easy, Think of them as a little appetizer sized Caprese Salad. It makes a huge difference in this recipe if you use good cheese, oil, and vinegar. Adjust the oil and vinegar to your taste, measurements are not exact.
- Cut the stem ends off the tomatoes, and hollow them out with a small spoon.
- Cut mozzarella into small cubes.
- Wrap each cube of cheese in a leaf of basil, and stuff into a tomato.
- Drizzle tomatoes with oil and vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Try not to eat the whole tray before guests arrive.
These are divine. A taste of summer in every bite. This recipe is definitely going in the keeper file. I used heirloom cherry tomatoes and found that a small metal measuring spoon worked perfectly for scooping out the seeds. To keep them from rollin around, I cut a small piece off of the bottom of each tomato so they would stand up. Thank you Emmy! Made for ZWT 4 by a Jefe de la Cocina!
I used Campari tomatoes. They are about the size of a small egg. I also took another shortcut and used mozzarella balls that I was able to purchase from my deli. These are very yummy and one must be careful not to consume them while making them. I think I ate one for every three that I made â€“ LOL I also made this for ZWT4
I had some trouble getting the tomatoes hollowed out without making holes in them, so they leaked. But were still very good!