Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 20 grape tomatoes
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 20 toothpicks
- Toss tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, basil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl until well coated.
- Skewer one tomato and one piece of mozzarella cheese on each toothpick.
I love this!!! Yum!!! I marinated the mozzarella and tomatoes in basil pesto before the skewers. So beautiful on the table too! Thanks for posting.
Fun, cute! Kids could make this. I did as Shuzbud suggested---put the basil between the tomato and cheese cube. I assembled earlier in day. I used fresh mozzarella b/c that is what I had on hand. Thank you AZPARZYCH for posting. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
A few little problems with this. Although it is visually appealing, the cheese started falling apart after a while; some started simply sliding down the skewers (I served in a tall glass, in skewers, just like Nif?s picture); I highly recommend a more cured cheese instead of fresh mozzarella. Second, as it came up to room temperature, the oil started dripping down, making a bit of a mess; I imagine it would be worse if it was a picnic, with high temperatures outside? Also the flavor: very, very bland. Too many left, not what I?d call a huge success. (2 and 1/2 stars, actually)