Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These are even better than store-bought! If you love coffee you will love these bars --- if you do not have any custard powder you can use the same amount of instant vanilla pudding powder but the custard powder is better --- all amount may be doubled for a 13 x 9-inch pan if desired :)
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Crazy rich, but delicious. I baked the bottom layer for about 15 mins. and used vanilla pudding. I think if I were making again using the pudding, I would leave out the sugar. Loved the way they looked. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (add in more sugar for a sweeter crust)
- 5 tablespoons sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup custard powder (or use 1/4 cup of instant vanilla pudding powder)
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (for stronger flavor add in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon more)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups icing sugar, sifted (more if needed)
- 6 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- For the crust; in a bowl stir the melted butter with sugar.
- Add in sifted cocoa powder; blend well to combine.
- Add/mix in egg and vanilla.
- Add in the cookie crumbs, coconut and chopped walnuts; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Transfer/press the mixture to the prepared baking dish then spread out evenly.
- Bake for about about 8 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature then refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until completely cold.
- For the filling; in a bowl beat butter with custard powder until smooth.
- In a small saucepan heat the half and half with coffee granules; stirring until the granules are just dissolved (do not heat until hot) cool to room temperature.
- When the mixture is cool transfer to a mixing bowl; add in 2 cups icing suger to start; beat until smooth and fluffy adding in more icing sugar a tablespoon at a time until you reach a desired consistancy.
- Spread over the cool crust.
- Chill while preparing the chocolate topping.
- For the topping in the microwave using a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate with butter removing and stirring until smooth.
- Add in the whipping cream; stir until completely incorporated with the chocolate; quickly spread over the filling.
- Chill for about 1 hour (remove after about 20 minutes of chilling or until the chocolate topping is semi-firm but not hard, and cut into squares, this will prevent the chocolate topping from cracking while slicing) place the sliced bars back in the fridge to continue chilling.
- Cut into about 1-inch squares or as desired.