Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
My kids have declared these "phenomenal!" The muffins are good in their own right but the spread gives them an incredible extra dimension. Please note, it is a cream cheese spread and not a sweet icing. The chocolate chips will not change form much. Perfect with a big, cold glass of milk or cup of coffee!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor (or using a hand mixer), combine the spread ingredients, cover and process until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- For the muffins: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, stir milk and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved.
- Add butter, egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375°F for 17-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Serve with espresso spread.