My kids have declared these "phenomenal!" The muffins are good in their own right but the spread gives them an incredible extra dimension. Please note, it is a cream cheese spread and not a sweet icing. The chocolate chips will not change form much. Perfect with a big, cold glass of milk or cup of coffee!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a food processor (or using a hand mixer), combine the spread ingredients, cover and process until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- For the muffins: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, stir milk and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved.
- Add butter, egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375°F for 17-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Serve with espresso spread.
The Capppuccino Muffins were served at a recent brunch that I attended and they are absolutely delicious! So different! Suby
I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out great! I did however make 24 mini muffins instead of 14 large ones. I did also iced them myself instead of serving the icing on the side.I served these at a brunch and they were the most popular muffin!(I made three kinds) I really liked the expresso icing and I think that the icing would taste awesome on brownies too! I think I will try the flavoured instant coffee next time. Thanks for posting this unique recipe!
This recipe has so many ratings it doesn't need mine, but I loved these! I mixed the chocolate chips with white chips, and I used 3/4 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup Kahula. Out of this world! I even forgot to put the vanilla in, and they are sooo good! I think I agree with another poster tho, who said they were good without the spread. I did add it, but I do think next time I may leave that off. Gona have one of these with an orange for breakfast. thanks for the recipe.