Recipe by evelyn/athens
Coffee is easily one of my favourite 'flavours' (as well as one of my favorite beverages). This is an awesome, coffee-flavoured muffin to enjoy with the second cup of the morning (the first one is always enjoyed on its own).
Top Review by KWB
This is a fantastic muffin. It won't beat you over the head with coffee flavor, so if that is what you are after, I assume upping the instant coffee/espresso powder quantities will help. Love the idea of chocolate chips, too, I think that additive matches another cappuccino muffin recipe on this site (plus a coffee-cream cheese spread).
These cooked up so well and I am sure that my actually being disciplined and following the instructions had a lot to do with this (e.g. actually melted the butter slowly so it didn't get HOT, let the oven sufficiently pre-heat, that sort of thing that I'm usually a little loosey-goosey with!)
I want to try this muffin base with lemon and poppy seeds and also with some fresh fruit to see if the batter can stand up to heavier additives (strawberry coconut?). I do use the Epicurious.com Mix In Muffin for fresh fruit, and it works great (you can stand a spoon up in the heavy butter/sour cream batter), but I want something that comes together a little easier (and cheaper!!!).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder (or instant coffee)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Line muffin tins with papers or grease well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, espresso or instant coffee, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix milk, butter, egg, and vanilla until combined.
- Stir milk mixture into flour mixture only until combined.
- Do not over mix.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes for standard muffins, 10 to 12 minutes for mini-muffins.
- Cappuccino muffins freeze well.