Prep 5 hrs
Cook 12 mins
These little treats taste like they came straight from a gourmet bakery!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 egg
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugars.
- Dissolve coffee in warm water; add to creamed mixture with egg and melted chocolate.
- Mix well.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture (dough will be sticky).
- Shape into two 6-1/2-inch rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 F.
- for 10-12 minutes or until firm.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening.
- Dip each cookie halfway; shake off excess.
- Place on waxed paper to harden.
Very good and easy to mix up. I put the melted chocolate in a piping bag with a writing tip and zig-zagged across the cookies, instead of dipping. Then I melted white chocolate and drizzled that too. It made a nice pattern that looked great on my cookie plates.
very simple to make and they taste wonderful. Can be sprinkled with colored jimmies or nuts after dipping in chocolate to suit the season or mood. Everyone raved about this cookie. Will definetely be one of my holiday favorites