Recipe by Mercy
If you wish, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans may be stirred into mixture with the coffee powder and cinnamon.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Dark Karo syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat.
- Without stirring, cook until temp of candy thermometer reaches 248F: (soft ball stage).
- Just before temperature reaches 248F:, in a large bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- With mixer at high speed, slowly pour about 1/2 of the hot mixture over the egg whites.
- Cook remaining syrup to 272F: or until a small amount of mixture when dropped into very cold water separates into threads which are hard, but not brittle.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and dark rum.
- Beating constantly, slowly pour hot syrup over egg white mixture.
- After last addition of syrup, beat in coffee powder and ground cinnamon.
- Continue beating until mixture begins to lose its gloss and a small amount of mixture holds a soft peak when dropped from a spoon.
- If mixture becomes too stiff for mixer, beat with a heavy wooden spoon.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto wax paper.
- Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.