Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Love coffee and chocolate? Then you'll love these Cappuccino Cupcakes, one of ten cupcake recipes in the April 2006 issue of the Australian magazine 'super food ideas'.
Top Review by HokiesMom
blue - a very moist and yummy cupcake here! I received 8 regular sized cupcakes in all with this recipe...I did fill about 3/4 full as other reviews stated they did not rise over the edge. The frosting really takes them over the top in flavor! I did end up with a lot of whipped topping leftover so saved that and served it with strawberries on the side the next night. A nice change to my standard cupcakes. I'm not sure what you meant by drinking chocolate but I used Hershey's Chocolate syrup since you called for only a teaspoon I felt it was the liquid syrup. I should have zmailed first and asked but no matter as the syrup worked fine in making the topping. Made for your win in Tag it Green in 123 Hits.
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 40 g good quality dark chocolate, grated
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon drinking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- cocoa powder, to serve
- chocolate-covered coffee beans, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole (2 tablespoon capacity) flat-based cupcake or patty pan with paper cases.
- Dissolve the coffee in 1 tablespoon of hot water in a small jug and stir in the butter.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until pale and thick; sift the flours together over the egg mixture and using a large metal spoon, gently fold in until just combined; gently stir in the coffee mixture and the grated chocolate.
- Half fill each paper case with the mixture and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes standing in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream until it is thick; sift the drinking chocolate and cocoa over the cream and fold it through the cream to create a marbled effect; spoon the cream mixture over the cupcakes, dust with extra cocoa and top each cupcake with a chocolate-coated coffee bean.