Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
A double rolling in granulated sugar makes these crackled cookies extra sparkly. From BH&G
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the brown sugar, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg whites and yogurt until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Place granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons into sugar and roll into balls.
- Roll again in sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool.
I expected these cookies to be crunchy, but they turned out soft and cake-y.
These are a tasty mocha cross between a cookie and a brownie. I didn't have any yogurt and sub'd sour cream. Plus I don't like recipes that use whites only with no use for the yolk so I used one whole egg instead.
My husband and I did not particularly care for these cookies. They are not very sweet and have a stronger chocolate flavor than we care for.