Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice switch to ordinary creme caramel. Use low fat ingredients if desired. (30 mins standing time included in prep time. If using vanilla essence, no standing is needed.)
- 120 g sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 4 eggs
- Boil sugar and water until golden.
- Pour into 6 individual moulds.
- Whisk together warmed milk, sour cream, vanilla bean, coffee and eggs.
- Stand for 30 minutes then discard vanilla bean.
- Strain into moulds and bake in water bath at 180C for 30-40 minutes or until firm.
- Chill overnight.
- To serve, carefully unmould creme caramels onto serving plates.