This is from a flyer I picked up in the organic foods section of my market. I changed the ingredients to non-organic but feel free to use whatever you wish. You could also choose a ready-made chocolate graham crust and Cool Whip topping to speed this along. Note: chill time is _not_ inclded in total prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces chocolate cookies, pulverized to crumbs
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon finely ground espresso beans or 1 tablespoon crushed instant coffee crystals
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2T0 make the crust: Combine cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
- 3To make the filling: Whisk the cornstarch and sugar in a heavy 2-quart saucepan.
- 4Whisk in the milk, making sure the cornstarch dissolves.
- 5Add the espresso and salt, then whisk in the eggs, mixing well until no streaks of yellow remain.
- 6Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 7Remove from heat briefly and and scrape sides and bottom of pan with a spatula and whisk again. Return to heat and cook at a bare simmer for 1 minute.
- 8Remove from heat and strain through a wire mesh strainer into a medium size bowl.
- 9Whisk in the butter and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap is touching the top to prevent a "skin" from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 10To make the topping:.
- 11Whip the cream with the sugar until soft peaks form.
- 12Remove filling from the fridge, remove the plastic wrap and pour into the cooled crust.
- 13Pipe whipped cream over the top and garnish with grated chocolate.
- 14Serve cold with chocolate syrup for drizzling.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cappuccino Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 591.8
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 158.4 mg
- Sodium 363.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 42.1 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: