Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is from a flyer I picked up in the organic foods section of my market. I changed the ingredients to non-organic but feel free to use whatever you wish. You could also choose a ready-made chocolate graham crust and Cool Whip topping to speed this along. Note: chill time is _not_ inclded in total prep time.
- 9 ounces chocolate cookies, pulverized to crumbs
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon finely ground espresso beans or 1 tablespoon crushed instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- T0 make the crust: Combine cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the filling: Whisk the cornstarch and sugar in a heavy 2-quart saucepan.
- Whisk in the milk, making sure the cornstarch dissolves.
- Add the espresso and salt, then whisk in the eggs, mixing well until no streaks of yellow remain.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat briefly and and scrape sides and bottom of pan with a spatula and whisk again. Return to heat and cook at a bare simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and strain through a wire mesh strainer into a medium size bowl.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap is touching the top to prevent a "skin" from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To make the topping:.
- Whip the cream with the sugar until soft peaks form.
- Remove filling from the fridge, remove the plastic wrap and pour into the cooled crust.
- Pipe whipped cream over the top and garnish with grated chocolate.
- Serve cold with chocolate syrup for drizzling.