Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I bake muffins daily for my partner to snack on mid morning. If you're a lover of a good Cappuccino, you really want to try these. Moist, fluffy, and loaded with great flavour, really, they're too good not to try! If you're out of sour cream just use milk, if you've only got instant coffee to hand, no worries use that, either way these are super tasty. (Incidentally, I often halve this recipe with equally good results).
- 473.18 ml flour
- 118.29 ml caster sugar
- 118.29 ml demerara sugar
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 29.58 ml instant espresso powder (I use Percol)
- 4.92 ml cocoa powder
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 177.44 ml milk
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml butter (melted)
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 100 g semisweet chocolate (min 60% cocoa solids, chopped)
- 14.79 ml demerara sugar
- 0.59 ml ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- In a small dish mix 1 tablespoon brown sugar with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. (This is to sprinkle over muffin tops prior to baking).
- Chop chocolate into small chunks and set aside.
- Bring milk, egg and sour cream to room temperature.
- Melt butter in a medium sized bowl (I give it a blast in the microwave) and set aside to cool a little.
- Into a large mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Whisk together, add sugars and whisk together again. Make a well in the centre and set aside.
- In a measuring jug combine milk and sour cream, mix in espresso powder then vanilla extract. Whisk in egg and finally melted butter.
- Pour into flour etc and mix with a gentle hand until batter is lumpy.
- Finally fold in chocolate chunks.
- Spoon into muffin cups and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 22 - 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Mmmmmm. I love mocha in all forms and this recipe did not disappoint. Used Splenda for the sugar and bittersweet chunks for the chocolate bits. These feel simply decadent when you munch one. Happy happy. Made for PAC, Spring 2014
Really nice recipe...i didnt use the sour cream they still came out pretty nice but i suspect nicer with the cream!