I bake muffins daily for my partner to snack on mid morning. If you're a lover of a good Cappuccino, you really want to try these. Moist, fluffy, and loaded with great flavour, really, they're too good not to try! If you're out of sour cream just use milk, if you've only got instant coffee to hand, no worries use that, either way these are super tasty. (Incidentally, I often halve this recipe with equally good results).
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup demerara sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (I use Percol)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g semisweet chocolate (min 60% cocoa solids, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- In a small dish mix 1 tablespoon brown sugar with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. (This is to sprinkle over muffin tops prior to baking).
- Chop chocolate into small chunks and set aside.
- Bring milk, egg and sour cream to room temperature.
- Melt butter in a medium sized bowl (I give it a blast in the microwave) and set aside to cool a little.
- Into a large mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Whisk together, add sugars and whisk together again. Make a well in the centre and set aside.
- In a measuring jug combine milk and sour cream, mix in espresso powder then vanilla extract. Whisk in egg and finally melted butter.
- Pour into flour etc and mix with a gentle hand until batter is lumpy.
- Finally fold in chocolate chunks.
- Spoon into muffin cups and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 22 - 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.