Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A lovely cookie to go with coffee.
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional) or 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer, beat the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, spices, and espresso powder until combined.
- Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until a dough forms, adding the chopped nuts and chocolate chips about halfway through.
- With floured hands divide the dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each half of dough into a log about 10 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- Transfer logs to the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 3 inches apart, and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until firm to the touch
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- On a cutting board, with a serrated knife, cut each log crosswise, on the diagonal, into 3/4 inch slices.
- Arrange the slices on the baking sheet and bake 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Wonderful flavor but I had the same problem as Crafty Lady in that the dough was quite dry and not very easy to work. I pretty much doubled the hazelnuts but kept all else as ask for. I made a half recipe for 12 cookies and actually got 8 sliced at about a half inch thick. Again they taste wonderful. Made for Comfort Cafe, Jan 09.
This is a very good recipe for biscotti. The quantity of the hazelnuts, cinnamon, clove, coffee powder and chocolate chips were perfect. The dough is on the dry side and a little hard to work with when it comes to slicing the dough. The taste was great and it's perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. Made for Comfort Cafe.