Recipe by Rita~
A spicy, tangy and sweet Sicilian cooked vegetable salad with an added Mexican touch. Which gives this significant heat depending on the poblanos. They tend to be mild, to unpredictably hot. Adding 1 whole bulb of roasted garlic bring this to aaaaaAAAAAHHHhhhh YUM levels!!!!.. You can use Roasted Fresh Chilies Like Poblanos Jalapenos Bell Peppers.. Roasted Garlic With Herbs and Olive Oil these recipes as a guide. Or follow my directions here.I have also Caponata ' Eggplant and Lots of Good Things! posted here on zaar which is equally delish.
Top Review by noway
Hubby absolutely loved this! I would probably give it a 3-4, but that's because I think it's just not something I care for and is no fault of the recipe. (This was my first time trying caponata, and I've discovered I prefer my veggies warm unless it's a green salad), so I'll base my review on what he said. This was a wonderful complex blending of flavors! I loved the number of different types of veggies and spices involved, it allowed for a really complex flavor and a created a gorgeous multicolor salad! One other note: the total time involved to make this was much longer for me. With the roasting and all of the chopping, it was at least 2 hours, maybe closer to 2.5, so be sure you have enough time set aside to make this. Thanks Rita for posting this unique veggie recipe! I'm glad I tried it, and will keep it in mind as a canning gift for people I know like relishes. Made for Newest Zaar tag.
- 2 bulbs garlic, tops cut off
- oil, for garlic just to drizzle
- 4 poblano chiles
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup walnut oil
- 5 cups peeled diced eggplants
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 celery, diced
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup diced black olives
- 1⁄4 cup rinsed capers
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar (Red or white)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place garlic in foil cut side up, drizzle with oil and wrap in foil.
- In a very hot oven as hot as it can go place the poblano's and wrapped garlic on a cookie sheet. Let chili`s crisp and brown turning. Remove poblano`s and place in a bowl with a cover. When cool enough to handle remove skin, seeds and stem. Dice.
- Turn oven off and leave garlic in oven.
- In a large pot place oil to heat add eggplant and brown about 10 minutes, add squash, celery, onions, and tomatoes cook for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients ( garlic if tender to squeeze)bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- If garlic wasn`t tender add now squeezing it into the mix of veggies.
- Stirring occasionally!
- Jar or place in a sealed container and refrigerate.